Publications, Abstracts and Presentations from our department. Please see authors for reprints.
Articles and Book Chapters
- Adegbembo AO, Tomar SL, Logan HL. Perception of racism explains the difference between blacks’ and whites’ level of health care trust. Ethnicity & Disease 2006; 16(4):792-8.
- Baccaglini L, Atkinson JC, Patton LL, Glick M, Ficarra G, Peterson DE. Management of oral lesions in HIV-positive patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007 Mar;103 Suppl:S50.e1-23. Review. PMID: 17379155 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Baccaglini L, Brennan MT, Lockhart PB, Patton LL. World Workshop on Oral Medicine IV: Process and methodology for systematic review and developing management recommendations. Reference manual for management recommendations writing committees. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007 Mar;103 Suppl:S3.e1-19. No abstract available. PMID: 17379151 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Baccaglini L, Shuster JJ, Cheng J, Theriaque DW, Schoenbach VJ, Tomar SL, Poole C. Design and Statistical Analysis of Oral Medicine Studies: Common Pitfalls. Oral Dis 2009; In press.
- Burt BA, Tomar SL. Changing the Face of America: Water Fluoridation and Oral Health. In: Ward J, Warren C (eds). A Safer, Healthier America: The Advancement of Public Health in the 20th Century. New York: Oxford University Press; 2006.
- Campbell CM, France CR, Robinson ME, Logan HL, Geffken GR, Fillingim RB. Ethnic differences in the nociceptive flexion reflex (NFR).Pain. 2007.
- Coolidge T, Heima M, Okayama, Coldwell SE, Weinstein P, Logan HL, Milgrom P. Reliability and Validity of the Revised Iowa Dental Control Index in a Non-Clinical Sample Personality and Individual Differences available online Dec 8 2004 in print form 38 773-783, 2005.
- Dodd VA, Cho Y, Watson J, Logan, H, Tomar, S Oral cancer in African American males: Addressing health disparities American Journal of Health Behavior (IN Press) 2007.
- Gedney JJ, Logan HL Pain related recall predicts future pain report. PAIN 121(1-2) 69-76 2006
- Gedney JJ Logan HL Perceived control and negative affect predict expected and experienced acute clinical pain: A structural modeling analysis. Clin J of Pain 23(1) 35-44, 2007.
- Graham MA, Tomar TL, Logan HL. Perceived relative social status, language, and identified dental home among Latinos in Florida. JADA November 135 (11)1550-1558. (2005)
- Horning GM, Vernino A, Towle HJ 3rd, Baccaglini L. Gingival grafting in periodontal practice: results of 103 consecutive surgeries in 82 patients. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2008 Aug;28(4):327-35. PMID: 18717371 [PubMed – in process]
- Lang EV, Hatsiopoulou O, Koch T, Berbaum K, Kettemann E, Logan H, Lutgendorf S, Kaptchuk TJ. Patient-provider interactions during invasive procedures: can words hurt? Pain 114 (1-2) 303-309 2005
- Lutgendorf SK, Lang EV Berbaum KS. Russell D, Berbaum ML, Logan HL Benotsch EG, Schultz-Stubner S. Turesky E, Spiegel D. Effects of Age on Responsiveness to Adjunct Hypnotic Analgesia during Invasive Medical Procedures. Psychosomatic Medicine 69(2) 191-199, 2007
- Meng X, Tomar SL. Attitudes and practices of Florida nurse practitioners on oral cancer prevention and early detection. Journal of Cancer Education [in press].
- Meng X, Duncan RP, Porter CK, Li Q, Tomar SL. Oral cancer attitudes and practices among Florida nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners [in press].
- Nelson DE, Mowery P, Tomar SL, Marcus S, Giovino G, Zhao L. Trends in smokeless tobacco use among adults and adolescents in the United States. American Journal of Public Health 2006; 96(5):897-905.
- Thornhill MH, Baccaglini L, Theaker E, Pemberton MN. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pentoxifylline for the treatment of recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Arch Dermatol. 2007 Apr;143(4):463-70. Erratum in: Arch Dermatol. 2007 Jun;143(6):716. PMID: 17438178 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Tomar SL. An assessment of the dental public health infrastructure in the United States. J Public Health Dent 2006; 66(1):5–16.
- Tomar SL. Public health perspectives on surveillance for periodontal diseases. Journal of Periodontology [in press].
- Tomar SL, Hatsukami DK. Perceived risk of harm from cigarettes or smokeless tobacco among U.S. high school seniors. Nicotine & Tobacco Research [in press]
- Tomar SL Logan HL Florida Adults’ Cancer Knowledge and Examination Experiences. J Public Health Dentistry. JPHD (2005).
- Tomar SL. Dental Public Health Programs. In: Nathe C, editor. Primary Preventive Dentistry, 7th Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall [in press]
- Winter K, Baccaglini L, Tomar S. A review of malocclusion among individuals with mental and physical disabilities. Spec Care Dentist. 2008 Jan-Feb;28(1):19-26. PMID: 18271770 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
Abstracts and Invited Talks
- February 18, 2006. Tomar SL, Hatsukami DK. Perceived risk of harm from cigarettes or smokeless tobacco among U.S. high school seniors. Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco 12th Annual Meeting.
- March 8, 2006. Tomar SL. Oral Health Effects of Tobacco and Alcohol Use. Invited presentation at Joint Meeting of American Association for Dental Research and American Dental Education Association, symposium: How Drug Induced Oral Diseases Affect Health and Well Being: Why Evidence-Based Research Must Continue. Orlando, FL.
- March 9, 2006. Tomar SL. Introduction to CDC’s initiative to develop valid non-clinical methods for periodontal disease surveillance. Invited presentation at Joint Meeting of American Association for Dental Research and American Dental Education Association, symposium: Development of Self-Reported Measures for Surveillance of Periodontitis. Orlando, FL.
- June 12–14, 2006. Tomar SL. Invited speaker at Tobacco Use Prevention, Cessation, Control: An NIH State-of-the-Science Conference. “What is the Effect of Smokeless Tobacco Product Marketing on Population Harm from Tobacco Use? Epidemiological Perspectives for Tobacco Risk Reduction.” National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
- June 28– July 1, 2006. Tomar SL, Heima M, Kunzel C, Milgrom P. Characteristics of Behavioral Sciences and Health Services Research Scientific Group. International Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting. Brisbane, Australia.
- June 28– July 1, 2006. Tomar SL. “Smokeless Tobacco Use as a Substitute for Smoking: US and European Experiences.” Symposium on Updates on Tobacco and Oral Health. International Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting. Brisbane, Australia.
- July 15, 2006. Tomar SL. “Snuff as a Harm Reduction Model: Disturbingly Weak Evidence.” Invited presentation in symposium, “Swedish Snus: Panacea or Pandora’s Box?” 13th World Conference on Tobacco OR Health. Washington, DC
- August 13–18, 2006. Metsch L, Valverde E, Pereyra M, Tomar S, Zhao W, Dickinson G, Kline S, Boza H, Camacho Y, Yeomans F, and Shika M. Utilization of Oral Health Care Services by HIV positive patients in Miami, Florida. XVI International AIDS Conference, Toronto.
- October 13, 2006. Tomar SL. Addressing Oral Cancer Disparities in Florida: A Social Marketing Approach. Invited presentation at University of South Florida/Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL.
- October 16–17, 2006. Tomar SL. Oral health effects of smokeless tobacco. Invited presentation at 3rd Annual Spit Tobacco Summit. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN.
- November 4–8, 2006. Metsch LR, Valverde E, Pereyra MR, Tomar SL, Zhao W, Jeanty Y, Gooden L. Utilization of oral health care services by HIV positive patients in Miami, Florida. 2006 American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Boston, MA.
- November 4–8, 2006. Hines B, Tomar SL, Levy LR. Describing disparities in oral health: Using the chronic disease model for creating state burden of oral disease documents. 2006 American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. Boston, MA.
- February 2, 2007. Tomar SL. Smokeless tobacco and health: an epidemiological perspective. Invited presentation at University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center. Minneapolis, MN.
- February 8–9, 2007. Tomar SL. Health effects of smokeless tobacco use. Invited presentation at: Health Canada, Alberta’s First Forum on Smokeless Tobacco and Tobacco Control. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- March 21–24, 2007. Noland Dodd VJ, Watson JM, Choi Y, Logan H, Tomar SL. Social Marketing Approach to Increasing Oral Cancer Exams Among African-Americans. International Association for Dental Research Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA.
A Taste for Controversy (pdf)
After discovering “supertasters,” Linda Bartoshuk is pushing to change how psychologists evaluate subjective experiences such as taste and pain.
Psychophysical measures of experience have played a fundamental role in our understanding of sensory and hedonic processes.
Why do we eat what we do? Consumers report “taste” as an important influence when selecting foods.
Alcohol produces a range of oral sensations, some of which have been shown to vary with the perceived bitterness of 6-n-propylthioracil (PROP) one marker for genetic variation in taste.
Damage to Taste (Otitis Media) is Associated with Dysgeusia, Intensified Pain Experience and Weight Gain (pdf)